Sunday, August 26, 2012

One Small Step for Man : Organizing the HP Fun Run 2012

"That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."
- Neil Armstrong, 1930-2012

August 26, 2012, McKinley Hill. There's always a first time. Human history is marked by many such firsts like the first steam engine, HP's first oscillator, or man's first step on the moon.

This morning marked a new milestone for me because it was my first time to have a major role in organizing a race. While the preparations have been going on for months, today was our D-Day - the moment we finally saw the realization of our vision. And if it had crossed my mind even for a second that "seeing it happen" meant watching on the sidelines, I still would've had been infinitely wrong.

We were already at The Venice Piazza at 2AM to get ready for our big day, but I had been awake since 7 PM of Saturday because of a mixture of emotions that range from serene hopefulness to anxiety to turmoil. Our Race Director Eugene Yasay had asked me to co-head Programs and Safety and I made sure I was at the site very early to secure the items that we had planned for, particularly for Safety.


Safety - particularly of the runners, of course - is one of the most important considerations when organizing a race. I think this topic will most of the time be on the top of the list. Thanks to Sir Patrick's informal tips when we were just starting, I was able to draft HP Fun Run's safety measures which were the basis of today's implementation. I could not have done this without the help of the Logistics committee, led by Ben, Lee, and Ria. All my effort in documenting safety would have been meaningless if there were no actual Ambulance, Security, or even tables and chairs for the water stations! Of course, big thanks also to my co-head Marco Dela Cruz.

It was really all labor of love for this HP Fun Run 2012 and I want to thank all the volunteers who made this possible. I have been running races for some time already, but while I have been very appreciative of the volunteers - smiling or waving at them whenever I can - I've never thought about how much effort has gone into the preparation and implementation of the races.

One simple example of this effort is the distribution of race kits. When I claim race kits, I have many times received them in brown envelope with all the works: singlet, bib number, safety pins, etc. For HP Fun Run 2012, we have experienced first hand putting these items inside the brown envelope; I even myself bought and grouped into 4 the safety pins.

Today on race day, my wife and I experienced putting some banners up ourselves. We literally reached new heights for this race.



I appreciate the help of the volunteers for all the help provided to the race, specifically to the following areas:

(1) Loot Bag Packing and Distribution

(2) Water Stations
(3) Baggage Counter

(4) Route Marshals and Lap Markers
(5) On-site Late Registration
(6) Hosting (Thanks Abet and AC!)

(7) Photographers

[Sorry if I missed anything but know that we appreciate all the hard work.]

Thanks to our sponsors: Coke, Summit Media, Dole, Diadora, Reebok, and Nathan. And thanks as well to our timing partner, Runningmate! [Finishers can view their HP Fun Run 2012 Race Results here.]

Thanks also to 360 Fitness Club for leading the stretching.



Special thanks to our race director Eugene Yasay for his overall leadership of this event and for entrusting me with such an important responsibility.

And of course to all the runners - Thanks for running and see you in the next big event!

Photo by Noel Deemen Camarillo


I thank God for this one small step of HP for taking this giant leap of faith to help the PGH wards 9 and 11.


HP Fun Run 2012 Core Team
Redd, Eugene, Ben, Lee
Bert, Earl, Ria, Marco, Noel

Marco, Redd, Ying, Eugene, Earl, Raf

Thanks to my lovely wife for the photos and all the love. :D


3 comments:

  1. Almost died. Thanks sa powers ng meow meow earrings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, may I copy some of your pictures you posted here? I also joined the fun run and have no camera with me. will copy only if you'll give me permission.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jeff. Sure. Thanks for checking with me and for joining our Fun Run. :D

    ReplyDelete