Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Training for my first 21K

I'm running my first half-marathon on Run Rio Leg 2 : Nature Valley Run which is about 4 weeks from now. I intend to closely follow the 4-week plan from Runner's World Philippines Premiere Issue. [Grab your copy now! I believe it's still available somewhere if you get the April 2010 issue of Men's Health or Women's Health].

I think it's a good plan and you can customize it to fit your needs and current fitness level. For me, I'll do it this way.

Mondays and Saturdays are already reserved for short easy runs or rest days. Tuesdays are for 12-K runs, usually broken down into 2-K easy / 8-K @10K or half-marathon pace / 2-K easy. On Wednesdays, I'll do easy runs. Thursdays are for hill sprints while Fridays are also for 12-K runs. And on Sundays of course I'll do long runs, ranging from 16-K to 22-K @ marathon pace.

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully with this training, I get to perform good enough for my first half-mary. My target time? I'm training for a 7 min/km pace so I'm aiming to get a sub-2:30.

But first, I pray for strength and the will to complete this training. :P

You want the 4-week plan for other distances (5K, 10K, 42K)? Get a copy of Runner's World now! Hehe. :))

5 comments:

  1. Earl , your running plan is good. Im sure you will do well just have fun and make your dreams come true. ill see you on that date too and regards to Tey !!! happy for you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yehes! Thanks, Sir!

    Good job, love! Focus lang.. Kaya mo yan! (very supportive) hehehe.. :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'll see you there! And Tey, let me remind you that you will do 10 rounds on weekend. Hehe. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey dude HP WILL MISS YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Anonymous! This dude will miss HP too.. :))

    ReplyDelete