Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Places to Visit in Baguio

June 12, 2012. My wife and I spent the last weekend in the cold city of Baguio. While the occasional rain added even more to the icy feel, it was indeed a very warm welcome for us!

Believe it or not, it was Tey's first time in the city of Pines and so everything was new for her - from the cold breeze that hit her upon stepping out of the bus to the pervading smell of horse dung that filled our lungs when we ran uphill to Wright Park.

To be honest even for me everything felt new. The awesome places we visited were by themselves enchanting, but my joy was compounded infinitely because I spent every second of the vacation with my beautiful wife.

Let me share with you some of the places we visited in Baguio. If you're a first timer, I recommend that you give these places a shot so that you get an authentic I-was-from-Baguio experience. If you're a veteran, you can look at these places from a different lens, perhaps from the perspective of enjoying it with a loved one.


1. The Manor

I believe it's the official accommodation at Camp John Hay. If you can afford it, I suggest you stay here and enjoy the luxurious atmosphere. And by the way, they are offering 50% off until October. Why don't you give it a try?


Wright Park



2. BenCab Museum

We had a grand time here. It's the museum of our very own national artist Ben Cabrera where he displays his artworks and some works of other masters. Although it is quite far from city proper, it is very much worth the trip. It was raining a bit when we were there but the adjacent garden still looked wonderful. Entrance fee is only 100 pesos per head.




Photobucket



3. Cafe by the Ruins

Best ensaymada ever! Their champorado/dilis combo is also a must-try, although I must say it tastes very much like my wife's champion champo! I find it a bit expensive here, but I rationalize it by saying, "It's not just the bread or champorado you're buying here, but the experience."


I give it 5 stars out of 5 for best breakfast experience. It was so good, we had breakfast at night! You can walk to this Cafe from Burnham Park/City Hall.



4. Tam-Awan Village

Thanks to our Ninong Anthony and Tita Bengga, we were able to visit this nice re-creation of an Ifugao village, almost literally up in the sky! It was a "cloudy" place. You will be thoroughly impressed by this place. But be careful, the steps are slippery when wet. :D It has an entrance fee of 50 pesos per head.

Photobucket




5. Ketchup Food Community

Thanks to our Ninang Grace for our accommodation at EGI Albergo Hotel which is a really nice place to stay in (especially when it's free :P). Our hotel was literally a stone's throw away from Wright Park and it's also very near Ketchup Food Community, a collection of mini restaurants that offer a wide range of food choices.

We tried here "Rancho Norte". Unfortunately I do not have any photo but I bet your mouth will still water imagining our scrumptious Pinakbet na Bagnet! Yum!

Earlier we had tried Indonesian/Malaysian food at "Rumah Sate". Nothing beats a cold day better than a very spicy meal! :P We ordered Laksa (vermicillin in spicy coconut and curry soup) and Sate Ampet Sasak (skewered grilled spicy beef meat served with lime), which tastes as complicated as it sounds. :P




6. The Lourdes Grotto

I've read somewhere that there are 252 steps to climb here. My wife and I did not count but it sure felt like a long way up. It is very tempting to train your leg muscles here but please do respect this place because it is traditionally considered as holy ground.




...

The places I have mentioned so far are not really new. However, the last few below are the "classics." You should go to these staples to have a complete Baguio experience. :D

7. Mines View Park

This is probably one of the more familiar tourist spots in the city. It of course features the view of the abandoned mine but for me its main features are the inihaw na mais and Douglas the Saint Bernard. :P



8. Burnham Park

Here's another hotshot when it comes to popularity and many of you have probably been here before. Although we did not ride a boat or bike around, simply being here is somewhat nostalgic for me. When I get older, maybe the nostalgia will take on another form - maybe it would be a recollection of myself and my wife watching the boaters while eating mangga with bagoong.

Photobucket

Photobucket


9. Wright Park / The Mansion

Our hotel room was very near Wright Park/The Mansion. I think these two should go together, because there's not much to do in The Mansion after you've taken several jump shots! :P

The Mansion is an important place, mind you, because this is where Presidents stay when they are in Baguio. It was said to be older than the city itself!



After your photo op with the celebrity home, just outside is Wright Park. You can ride a horse if you're up to the challenge (I wasn't). If you're lucky enough (like us) to be staying in Albergo Hotel, you can jog here at the park. There's even a 150+-step climb of stairs here!

Wright Park Wright Park

10. Good Shepherd

What good is a vacation without some pasalubongs? Just visit Good Shepherd and you can buy to your heart's content! Yes, this is where your friend got that ube and strawberry jam you're craving for.


...

It was a really nice vacation, obviously. I'm happy that my wife had a blast in her first visit to Baguio. And now that we've seen City of Pines together, I think we should try next the "City of Fines", if you know what I mean. :P

If you're thinking of a cool vacation, I recommend Baguio (but you might want to do it next summer. :P)

If travelling alone is your cup of tea, that's fine and dandy. But I tell you, nothing compares to the warm hug of a loved one on a cold Baguio day.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Galing mong magsulat! Para tuloy gusto ko ulit pumunta sa Baguio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are worth to keep, Baguio is the place to be. shitifujon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete