Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Unilab Run United 2 2012 : Back on the Road!

Cramps with less than a kilometer to go.

It's the first time for me to experience severe cramping during a race. I looked at my watch to see 2:48. It still was not twitterably fast but nonetheless it's a new PR for me in the making. If I could only get myself to run.

I've had never felt like not being able to physically continue before but the pain was unbearable. It probably showed on my face, if not my limp, because a couple of friendly runners/strangers even stopped for me and advised me to stretch for a while. "Lapit na yan, pre." and "You can do it." were some of the encouraging words tossed at me. One even joked, "5 kilometers na lang" and let out a friendly chuckle.

I gave in and stretched my aching left quadriceps, trying to summon all the energy I had left. As I was squeezing and talking to my tight muscles, the previous 5 hours of my Sunday morning flashed before my eyes.


Fresh Start at the End of the World

I woke up at 2:30AM to my "2012" (by Jay Sean alarm) which had been our wedding reception entrance song. We started preparing quickly, which included banana and coffee for breakfast.

After 8 months of race hiatus, I was really excited. Even the the banana tasted different. I had bought new socks and a new watch (thanks a lot to Alot!) for the race and I was like a kid very eager to show off my new toys.

It was raining when we stepped out and unfortunately at 3:30AM there are very few trikes going inside our subdivision but that did not change our disposition. My wife and I were just so happy to be back, we decided an easy run in the cold rain would be our "warm up".

There was another guy walking out of our desolate subdivision and he told us he was also doing 21K at Run United 2. Outside our subdivision, while waiting for a cab, the three of us met 2 other 21K runners who invited us to ride the cab together.

It's nice how running (and the weather) brought strangers together. On any other day, if any stranger asks to share cab (and at 4AM), I don't think many people will acquiesce readily.

We reached the starting line at BGC just in time. Tey was still queuing for the toilet when the first wave went on its way. We were able to catch the last wave and we're off to a brand new start!

Routing Guide

I was feeling really good on my first hour. I was able to keep up with my 5min-1min interval plan, where I knew I could average 7-ish per kilometer. I maintained the discipline because at the back of my curly hair, I was thinking I did not want to waste such a good route prepared for 21K runners.

The 21K route was one of the few routes I know that started and ended on different locations. Although we did not try it ourselves, I believe Runrio was able to address the logistical issue of having separate start/end points through their shuttle services and mobile baggage counters. I know it has been done before but still, good job!

For a returning (or novice) runner, the Roxas Boulevard stretch is a good stepping stone because it is fairly flat and predictable. Many runners with strong legs still fail miserably because their minds are not well conditioned. Running - covering long distances in particular - requires mental preparation as well as physical workout. Opinions may vary among runners but personally the predictability of Roxas Boulevard reduces the "fear factor" which adds unnecessary stress to the runner.

It was also a plus for me that the route was apparently made exclusive for 21K runners. I do not mean to ostracize shorter-distance runners but sometimes the abrupt gushing of other-distance runners converging into the same route is very uncomfortable.

Hydration Galore

Runners were very much hydrated thanks to the abundance of water and Powerade in each station which was nicely spaced. The banana was also a welcome treat. I did not take one though because in the past I have significantly slowed down after having a banana (or two?) mid-run.

Medics

I noticed several ambulances along the route which is a good safety measure for the run. I myself benefited from one. After 2 hours of running, I'm no longer able to maintain my 5-1 run so I alternated it with a 3-1-1-1 or a 2-1-2-1, whatever made sense and as long as the total is six.

I was on a 3-minute semi-sprint target when I felt the first sign of intense leg cramps. I started at 2:06 which should end at 2:09. I felt it at 2:07 but I pushed myself, saying out loud in German, I know I can do 3 minutes! Ich weiß ich kann drei Minuten machen!


Fortunately there was a medic station at the end of my 3-minute agony and their magical liquid helped me a little, although I couldn't even stand straight for a full 2 minutes (I know because I started again at 2:11).

My Beautiful Wife


I was ahead of my wife for a change and I met her twice on the road. Once she even shared some of her sports beans.

There was one time I couldn't help but to appreciate my beautiful wife as she ran towards me. The shorts she was wearing made her legs look whiter than usual. And then I remembered she wasn't wearing shorts but black tights. Realizing my mistake, I immediately averted eyes and pretended I was just scanning the grass on the center island. Lame. [Whoever you are, I'm very sorry for staring!]

Beat Coach Earl

Although I was still able to do my target intervals, my pace was greatly reduced after the cramping incident. I pressed on, urging myself out loud I could do it. I may not be very fast but at least I can try to beat my own record.

However, near the finish line, with less than a kilometer to go, I felt the cramps again. I had to stop again and stretch. I could almost smell the finish line.

I can do this. I can do this. I kept telling my self I could do it. After a short stretch break, I forced myself to run again amidst the intense pain. When I was close to the finish line, I saw 2:51 and I ran like a mad man to try to beat my 2:52 record. I closed my eyes as I was nearing the finish line and raised my hands as if I got a podium finish.

I reached the finish line and the cramping started again and I swear I was gasping for air. And then I noticed a hand giving me a big sector of a medal and I knew in my heart it was all worth it.

I looked at my watch which I had stopped as I stepped on the time-readers.


That's 2:51:59! How about that? Every second counts.

Now that I've even beaten my old record (by a second), I know that I'm definitely back on my feet.


Alot, Tey, Kulot

With my wife and my chubby cheeks at the start line

Proudly showing off our hard-earned medals

And last but not the least, the Superposition! Welcome back!

It's been a while.

In the afternoon of the run, we went to The Spa Trinoma, which I think may not have been the best decision because now we feel so sore.

Why did we do it?
+++++++++

Official 21K Results of Run United 2 2012 can be found here. For RunPix Analysis, click here.

My chip time showed 2:51:53. Splits show that I was already at 20K at 2:41:14. I'll be back for you!

2 comments:

  1. Nice try on the legs, buddy! Hahah.. Congrats on your run!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ang bilis :) Congratulations :) nothing beats a run that you know you did your very best. yOu deserve your medal.

    ReplyDelete