Saturday, March 6, 2010

Condura Run for the Dolphins

I was really charged up for this run. I enjoyed reading the Special Early Edition of Philippine Star - especially the running tips. Even though I was only running 5k, I followed almost every advice in that paper like:

1. Wear slippers.
2. Eat a banana for breakfast.
3. Sleep with pillow under the legs.
4. Pray.

I was also very motivated by the quotes. One of my favorites is this: "The miracle is not that I finished but that I had the courage to start." I have to admit that getting a finisher's medal is also something that I looked forward to.

Since my Gibo running mates were doing 21k, I was left by myself, warming up and watching 3 sets of fireworks. (Here's me at the sidelines when they were about to begin).


This run was way way way better than my last one. There are bands playing and a crowd cheering (some chanting "Con-du-ra! Con-du-ra!"). It felt like I could go faster when I am in a good way distracted by them.

I thought however that I was slower than my training pace. I can go ~34mins for 5k in training. I was trying to remember the map in my head as I was running and at 26 minutes, I was pretty sure that I was only half-way through. I was pleasantly surprise to know that I was wrong.

After just a few steps, I saw the "1 km to go" marker. I was so excited I'm sure I was grinning. For the first time I took a cup from the water station (but just a sip this time) and sprinted on to the finish line.

I'm very proud of my official time which was 31:46, which puts me at 124th out of about 1000 for my age division. Not bad really (upper 15%). And I like the medal too.

The Condura Run was overall a positive experience for me except for one thing : they got my name wrong! My family name's Hugo, not Nugo. :))

Here's my solo superposition (still got it wrong)

Very proud of finishing better than the last (no walk!)!

I was so proud I took a cab wearing the 5k medal.

I was a champion for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment