Thursday, March 4, 2010

Takbo Para Kay Gibo

My officemates invited me to join the 5K run for "Takbo Para Kay Gibo" (1/16/2010). It was an easy yes for me, not because of my political views, but because the registration was only 100 Php! I thought it was a bargain because you also get a shirt.



Also I had been running since August (after my 3 months of post-AMG Run recovery period) in my quest to lose enough weight so that I can make the upcoming team offsite the "offsite where the shirt finally comes off." (Although as if destiny does not allow my toplessness, the offsite was postponed twice and when it finally happened, I had to stay home to study for a certification exam).

I honestly thought that I was so fit enough that I can do sub-30. After what felt like 20km (I realized later that it was less than 2km), I was back to walking - already out of breath and half-limping. I think I walked most of the 2nd half, occasionally breaking into a 1 minute run, then going back to what I thought was brisk walking.

I was thrilled to see the water station after the first turn. I stopped to drink one plastic cup full of water, walked 2 steps, then downed another full cup. I was told later that that made me even slower and heavier, making the 2nd half (2.5k?) more unbearable.

It was definitely a bad run. But I was so frustrated that I afterwards downloaded training plans and read more about running. This was like a wake up call for me. Whatever the distance, I should come prepared.

Among our running team (my officemates and some friends), I was the last to finish. When I got to the finish line, it looked like they already had finished eating lugaw.

What made the run encouraging for me was seeing all those people running and the post-run reminiscing we did over Mcdo breakfast. This marked the beginning of (what I call) my running career. One week later, I registered for 5k of the Condura Run for the Dolphins.

Let me share a few photos from the event which include the famous "Superposition".

Here's one with Gibo.


Nahuli ng mga Pulis!


Check! [Notice that my shirt is different - instead of the "Takbo para kay Gibo" logo, mine is "Gibo Teodoro - Gilbert Teodoro for President". They said they ran out of stock of the other shirt design Man!]


And of course, the Superposition! (Yeah yeah yeah, I got the wrong foot up).

No comments:

Post a Comment