Thursday, March 18, 2010

Half-Empty or Half-Full?

Half Marathon! To run or not to run, that is the question. I was really determined to run my first 21K on May 30 (RunRio Leg 2). However, one statement in Coach K's recent blog "There's Something About Half-Mary (Part 1)" made me somehow doubt my readiness. She said, "What it SHOULD mean is that you’ve been running consistently for over a year now..."

Come May 30, I would only have 5 months which is way below the recommendation of Coach K. I commented on her blog, asking if it's too early for me to run 21K on Leg 2. She said that from a coach's perspective, she would not advise that I do 21K that early so that I can "enjoy running for as long as humanly possible".

Her recommendation? Save my legs for RunRio Leg 3 or schedule one next year as a celebration of my first year of running.

What do you think? :))

Read the full article [with my comment and her reply] at http://runrio.com/2010/03/theres-something-about-half-mary/. See her blog at runrio.com at K's Corner.

5 comments:

  1. Let's continue to train long runs then assess by mid-April. ;) If I was able to do it sa Condura, you can too. Basta may long recovery period after. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. do a 21K lsd. run/walk if you must. if you can do this, there's no reason for you to delay a 21k race. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Earl,

    I believe that you can already do a 21K. The only question is how you will perform.

    Good luck on your first half marathon. For now, Let's enjoy running!
    Godbless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi earl, in my humble opinion, running and racing are two different things. if you're coming from a sedentary lifestyle (been there) and suddenly decided to undergo training for a full marathon (like me hehe), you will definitely pass the stage of running 21k in the process.

    now, i'll recommend that you RUN your first 21k at a pace that you enjoy, so that in the process, you also enjoy everything the race has the offer (view, drinks, race feel, etc etc etc)

    RACE the 21k distance some time.

    the first would always be special. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guys, thanks for the motivation! Look me up in the 21K results of Leg 2! Haha.

    Anyway, I'm doing 15K on Sunday. It's my longest run yet. Let's see what happens. :P

    ReplyDelete